Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I'll take it!

We started our IN today. I'm not sure it is exactly what an IN would be(with the left side and the right side), but for now it is working in terms of organizing our notes and allowing them some creativity inside of the classroom. Some of my ladies were thrilled and actually said that my class was the best math class they had been in so far! YES! I'll take it!

We are focusing on positivity so today when one of my young male students called a female student slow, we talked out in the hall about classroom etiquette and how we have to be positive to get through math. I explained how for most students they come in to class with the idea that math is hard and boring and so they behave that way, refusing to do the work and having a poor attitude. It doesn't help when people make negative comments to others because that lowers their self esteem and then they dislike math even more because people made fun of them. I made him give me three positive statements he could have said instead of the negative one and asked him to apologize during break. I hope this encouragement really gets students to understand that math can be fun.

So far so good... and you know what.. I'll take it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment